28 March 2006

Life Without Huey, Riley, and Granddad

I don't know how this bit of information escaped me when the news came out early this month, but I don't know how I will make it six months without new strips of Boondocks. Aaron McGruder is taking a sabbatical, and as big a fan I am of the comic strip, I hadn't heard that this was coming. How DID I discover this news? Well, this is how:


While many newspapers have decided to carry alternate strips in McGruder's absence, it appears as though, at least to start, the strip will be printing from the beginning, starting yesterday. For those of you, like myself, that started reading Boondocks after it became popular, this is a good time to check out some of the older work. Since the nature of the strip is poking fun at current events, some of the older material may seem a bit dated. So far, though, the first two strips are just setting things up.

Other artists have taken sabbaticals at the height of their strips popularity, too. I recall Garry Trudeau, Gary Larson, and Bill Watterson all taking a break from Doonesbury, The Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes, respectively. Larson and Watterson eventually ended their strips. Come to think of it, I can hardly believe that it has been more than 10 years since Watterson ended the original strip. Anyone remember the final panel? Let's go exploring:



I get my comics reading through my 'My Yahoo' page. I have Boondocks, Fox Trot and Non Sequiter. If I didn't read these, I would never see the comics anymore. If you use this feature, you can set your own preferences to get any number of strips if you want. A good diversion for a part of the day. I have 'My Yahoo' set to give me news headlines, information about my beloved Mets, and other cool stuff like headlines from The Onion, too.

No comments: